There are times that I crave simplicity in food. I will get a feeling to eat something where I can see all the ingredients and taste familiar flavors. And some days, I want to eat at a restaurant I already know is good instead of trying something new. Have you ever had one of those days? Last Sunday was one of those days for me, and I knew the perfect place to go.
I had just returned from traveling in the Dallas area and I wanted to eat at a place that was familiar to me, so I called my aunt up and we made our way to Mon Thai Bistro & Sushi on Broadway. Thai food may not sound like comfort food to some, but Mon Thai is right by UIW and I eat there often because I know what I’m getting.
Mon Thai is hidden in a small shopping center on the edge of Alamo Heights. The front is covered in pretty trees that have their trunks wrapped in multi-colored and white Christmas lights year round. You can sit outside on the cute patio or you can choose to head on inside where you are greeted with dark red walls, dark wooden tables, low ceilings and dim lighting. If you were going on a date, Mon Thai could definitely be seen as a romantic little restaurant. They are usually busy, but they always have fast service.
OK, nobody judge me, but I like to order a decent amount of food to satisfy my taste buds. Appetizers are awesome! I tend to be hungry for a few different things and I hate choosing or having food envy. Plus, who doesn’t love leftovers? On Sunday I ordered edamame for an appetizer, a California role for my second appetizer and the fresh basil noodles for an entrée. You get to choose a meat and I always go with steamed tofu because I love it with noodles (my brother legitimately thinks I am out of my mind when I order tofu, but I think it is good every now and again!). My aunt ordered the Lo Mein with beef, and she helped me eat some of the appetizers. As usual, we enjoyed every bite.
So, why do I love the simplicity of the food at Mon Thai? Here is a quick run down.
- It is always piping hot! Thank you Mon Thai for bringing out my food right when it is ready. It makes it so much better that way.
- Most of the noodle dishes include vegetables and they are fresh and crisp. You don’t have a mushy mess in your noodle dish, which is gross!
- I have never had a salty meal. I have a huge issue with super salty food. It can ruin a meal for me quickly. Salt is never the main ingredient at Mon Thai, but the flavor is always good.
- You get to choose your level of spiciness. I like two peppers because anything more makes my face burn.
- The service is good, but not annoying. They don’t come up to your table every two minutes to check on you, but they pay enough attention to refill drinks and ask if you need anything when necessary.
- It is not expensive. They may be in Alamo Heights, but they don’t have the price tag. How do you turn down good food that is pretty cheap?
- The food is consistently tasty. Enough said!
I appreciate Mon Thai because there is nothing over the top about it. They do what they need to do to satisfy their customers and offer food that I really enjoy. If you are looking for a laid back environment at a decent price where you can get noodles, curry or sushi along with a bubble tea or a nice cocktail, try it out! It is simply good, my friends!
Mon Thai Bistro & Sushi, 4901 Broadway, San Antonio, TX 78209