Since the fall of 2013, SA Flavor does accept student interns at the collegiate level. The following is what is required to be considered as a student intern with SA Flavor:
- Enrolled in a college or university course where the internship will be counted as credit/hours towards the completion of a degree.
- One to three writing samples that have been published, either in a publication or online (personal blogs count).
- 300 to 500 words on why you would like to be an intern with SA Flavor and what you would like to accomplish over the semester.
- While not required, a letter of reference would be helpful.
- Familiarity with the WordPress platform is a plus.
Here is what you can expect with an internship with SA Flavor:
- Roughly five hours a week to research and work on stories, with one hour every-other-week for an in person meeting to review writing, discuss pieces and goals throughout the semester.
- Flexibility to work remotely without having to come into an office.
- Assistance to generate story ideas at the beginning of the semester, these can include: restaurant reviews, opinion pieces, chef interviews, event coverage and an introduction/reflection post.
- An output of one story per week throughout the internship; this should translate to about 12-15 pieces over the semester. The goal is to build an online portfolio for the intern to share with a future employer.
- Ability to explore interests as it relates to social media, online advertising, event planning or more. If you have something you’re interested in besides writing, we can discuss it.
Note that at this time the internship is unpaid, which is why it is a must that you are receiving college credit. For consideration or to ask further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.