Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because it is a great time to be with family and friends, eat good food, watch football and reflect on what you’re thankful about. This past year has flown by here are 25 things in no particular order that I am thankful for:
1. My Family – I am blessed to have a loud, fun loving family and a great new sister-in-law who has been a nice addition to it.
2. The Pacific Coast Highway – Getting to travel from San Diego up to Portland along the Pacific Coast Highway with my girlfriend showcased breathtaking views and fun roadside stops; this was one of the greatest trips I have ever been on.
3. My Girlfriend – She is a great woman who always makes my day.
4. Automatic Transmission – I have recently acquired a little pickup with a manual transmission which has been a lot of fun to learn to drive; it also taught me that automatic transmission is magic.
5. College Basketball – With the NBA season on indefinite hold, it’s great to see the college guys play ball.
6. Pomegranates – One of the best fruits in the world and I recently planted a pomegranate tree this year that I hope fruits real soon.
7. Rain – After one of the most devastating droughts that Texas has ever seen, I think we are all thankful for when it rains.
8. My Friends – I get by with a little help from my friends; they have a knack for being there when I need them.
9. Texas Rangers – Once again, they gave us a thrilling season; while I wish Game 6 would have gone the other way, I was so happy for them to be in a exciting world series.
10. Team at Work – Both computer engineers that I support and the project managers/analysts that are my peers, I work with some of the smartest people.
11. Kidd Kraddick in the Morning – This morning radio show actually makes me laugh out loud on my commute into work; I love how they are a positive morning show that is genuinely funny.
12. My Health – I only had to worry about my first cavity this past year and am very thankful to be in good health.
13. Foodspotting App – This app has been my favorite one of the year and I have discovered many different restaurants and dishes.
14. English Teachers – Special shout out to Mr. Reeves, Dr. Whittington and Ms. Duncan for being persistent with a math/science student; it’s because of you that I enjoy reading today.
15. Mountain Air – This pure, cold air will refresh and rejuvenate you.
16. Barbacoa After a Night of Partying – One sure fire way to cure a hangover.
17. Neighbors – I really could have clumped Neighbors together with Friends and am so thankful that I have been this fortunate; vaya con dios to my next door neighbors who will be moving to Silicon Valley, you will be missed.
18. Homemade Tortillas – While this is something that native San Antonians might take for granted, it is still a thrill for this West Texas boy to get fresh tortillas any time I go to a Mexican restaurant.
19. Spotify – I’ve enjoyed this app to listen to both new music and old favorites.
20. Free Airfare – Thanks to Southwest Airlines who makes it so easy to get and redeem free flights.
21. Readers – I really am thankful that you guys stop by and read what I write in my little corner of the internet.
22. Our Military – Special thanks to all our men and women who are serving our country and can’t be home with their families over this holiday.
23. Geocaching – Definitely thankful to all the folks who have hidden and maintained caches around the world so that I can seek them out.
24. Blizzards – Is there anything better than Dairy Queen’s frozen concoction chocked full of candy?
25. Museums – I love having the ability to get into these wide open spaces and see good art; special thanks to SAMA who trusted my company to build them a mobile guided tour of their Missing Peace Exhibit earlier this year.