I love the New Year because everyone gets to have a fresh start. Everything seems, well, new. This year is off to an exciting start for me. I have a new role at work doing something completely different than what I previously did. I have a couple of new iPhone apps in the pipe along with a new look to a company I founded. I even went out and bought some new clothes. All in all, I have to say I’m excited about 2012! On to the Quick Bites!
- I was able to eat at The Lodge right before Chef Dady closed the doors. Being the first time I dined there (it was a Christmas present from my fiancé), I enjoyed both the atmosphere and food. I was a fan of the amuse bouche (a toasted baguette with nutella, olive oil, sea salt and charred red onion marmal) and loved the mixed green salad (with green apples, goat cheese and candied pecans). My main course was the grilled quail which was all right, but her seared beef tenderloin was outrageously good. The best part – the chocolate and peanut butter dessert. Check out the menu.
- Of course you have to have champagne to ring in the New Year, so I opted for Moët & Chandon. I have no concept of what good champagne should taste like, but I enjoyed this bottle of bubbly (it was a step up from the André Cold Duck). What are some of your favorite champagnes and why do you like them? (Yes, I also ate my black eyed peas on the first!)
- Since it is the New Year, it is time to watch what I eat again. . . So that obviously means that I had to get chilaquiles at Thousand Oaks Cafe. This time I decided to try the chorizo chilaquiles which were exceptional; if you ever are looking for a greasy plate after your night out, this one will do the trick.
- I know I already posted about it, but I can’t tell you enough how much of a fan I am of Whataburger’s spicy ketchup. Keep in mind this ketchup is not a replacement, but rather a compliment to the fancy ketchup. We all know nothing could ever replace their fancy ketchup.
- San Antonio blogger Eva wrote about the 2012 San Antonio Food Trends on her blog Mesa a Mesa this past week. I am most excited about her fourth trend, South WW White Road, and hope to get over in that neck of the woods in the near future!