Last night was the first official 2013 Fiesta event, the Fiesta Poster unveiling. I was happy to make the event and see firsthand the poster by artist Stuart Seal. The poster plays on a bridge from the past to present. The focal point is the renowned rose window of the San José Mission, but as the viewer looks through they see an image of the Tower of Americas with Fiesta fireworks.
The unveiling was held in the new plaza outside the San Anotnio library downtown and the weather seemed more Fiesta than Fall. The only downside to the evening? I have to wait another six months until Fiesta kicks off on April 19th! However, if you are aching to get your Fiesta on a little early, stop by the Fiesta Store on 2611 Broadway at 10AM this Saturday, November 3rd for a chance to see the 2013 poster in person and get the artist to sign it. On to the Quick Bites!
- While their gigantic burritos are the main attraction, Freebirds offers a stacked bowl of nachos for $5. I was impressed with the amount of meat and beans, but something that surprised me is that they didn’t skimp out on the queso – they poured on three scoops. For an extra buck, you get a sizeable amount of guacamole.
- If you’re looking to satiate your sweet tooth, check out Lily’s Cookies in Monte Vista on McCullough and Huisache. Before hitting the road on my honeymoon, a friend got San Antonio Jane and I a basket of cookies for our trip. Last night, Lily’s Cookies was at the Fiesta event, showing off not only a cookie with the poster design on it, but also some festive calavera cookies for Dia de los Muertos.
- November is a month that many of us give thanks, however, there are people in the Alamo City who go hungry. To help combat this problem, Ryan Haug participates in a fasting fundraiser for Inner City Development’s Thanksgiving 365 program. Until he raises $1000, Ryan and other fasters subside only on bread and water. Currently, he is at $500 and if you would like to donate to end his fast, please visit his donation page. Interested in finding more about this program? Check out his story on The Rivard Report.
- What happens when two food bloggers get together to cook with no set plan? Champagne, lots of champagne, and good, improvised food. Read about how the Waspy Redhead and Ohmypuddin were able to get all the dishes to come out of the oven at the same time. Includes pictures of their “Eggs in Purgatory” dish.
- The Spurs are back and on a roll. Last night they showed a little bit of that San Antonio magic with a buzzer beater by Tony Parker to overcome the Oklahoma Thunder, 86-84. Check out the video of Tony’s last second shot and GO SPURS GO!