As an admissions counselor, I travel throughout Texas, visiting Dallas the most often. I spend at least a few weeks a year there and have been to a lot of restaurants. While I will not claim I am an expert on Dallas, I do know the city to an extent. I always try to stop at interesting restaurants near the schools I visit as well as those in popular parts of the city. If you find yourself heading up to Dallas anytime soon, I hope you get the chance to stop by a few of the places I love!
- Asian Mint – This is my favorite restaurant in Dallas! I love Thai food and I think I found this particular restaurant on a Dallas food app a few years ago. I go to Asian Mint at least once during every trip to the city because everything on the menu is really flavorful. My favorite appetizer is the fried calamari. I don’t know what they put on it or in it, but it’s so good that I wouldn’t want to share. I also enjoy all of the curry dishes (some places can really mess up curry – Asian Mint definitely does it the right way) and the Pad Thai Woon Sen.
Asian Mint, 11617 N Central Expy #135, Dallas, TX 75243
- BuzzBrews Kitchen – I am slightly obsessed with this restaurant because it is just a little weird. They have delicious breakfast food, they are open 24 hours and they have pop art style decorations. When I first started my job, a friend who moved to Dallas a few years before took me here. I have gone back many times since because I love breakfast food for dinner. I can’t even explain how wonderful the pit grill griddle toast (aka, French toast) meal is. It is the best breakfast! They have other items besides breakfast food, but I’ve never tried any of them. I’m not a coffee drinker, but they have some interesting flavors and they also serve beer and wine.
BuzzBrews Kitchen, 4154 N. Central Expy, Dallas, TX 75204 (the original location)
- Ellen’s Southern Kitchen – I recently tried this restaurant because my friend recommended it. They serve comfort food and I went for brunch. The restaurant has an awesome vibe, good mimosas and delicious grits! I had the poached eggs and grits with bacon. I will definitely be going back again!
Ellen’s Southern Kitchen, 1718 N Market St, Dallas, TX 75202
- Fadi’s Mediterranean Grill – Fadi’s is a small chain with restaurants only in the Dallas and Houston areas. It is a cafeteria style restaurant and they will throw tons of food on your plate until you say stop. I always try a huge mix of salads, dips, veggies, meats and pita. Everything is great, but I really love the vegetables they serve, especially the cauliflower! Even though it is cafeteria style, you can get a meal to-go as well.
Fadi’s Mediterranean Grill, 3001 Knox St #110, Dallas, TX 75205 (my preferred location)
- Fuel City Tacos – I tried out this place on the recommendation of a hairdresser I met. He raved about the tacos and said they were his favorite in the city. He was not exaggerating at all! You walk up to Fuel City gas station/carwash near downtown Dallas and there is a window on the outside with a neon sign that says, “Tacos” and a menu which includes $1.40 street tacos (yep, they all cost the same price) and burritos. I tried three different tacos and loved every bite. It’s simple, it’s quick, it’s delicious!
Fuel City Tacos, 801 S. Riverfront Blvd, Dallas, TX 75207
- Red Hot & Blue – This is a chain in a few states and most of the restaurants are located in the East coast area of the US. The only area of Texas with Red Hot & Blue is Dallas/Fort Worth. It is a Memphis style BBQ restaurant that has a relaxed, cool atmosphere. They have a few different sauces to choose from and I love their pulled pork sandwich.
Red Hot & Blue, 9810 N. Central Expy #600, Dallas, TX 75231 (my preferred location)
- Snappy Salads – I’ve previously mentioned that I like food that is fast, but not fast food. Snappy Salads is a great place to stop for lunch when you are in a hurry. Like their name states, they really are snappy! You can get in and out within a matter of five minutes, but you can also eat there if you like. They are a small chain only in the Dallas area and mostly offer salads, with a few appetizers and other items thrown into the mix. They have many different salad choices and really tasty bread!
Snappy Salads, multiple locations in Dallas area
- Sprinkles Cupcakes & Sprinkles Ice Cream – I’m a cupcake girl, especially vanilla cupcakes. Sprinkles is a national chain, known as the original cupcake bakery, with a store in Dallas and Houston. I stop here every year at least once. This year I stopped twice because they opened a cupcake ATM next to the cupcake store, for your middle of the night cravings, and an ice cream shop. Who doesn’t want a cupcake AND ice cream? There are smart people running this business.
Sprinkles Cupcakes, 4020 Villanova Dr, Dallas, TX 75225
Sprinkles Ice Cream, 8413 Preston Center Plaza Dr, Dallas, TX 75225