This was my first week off of the My Fit Foods 21 Day Challenge and I have to say that is has been nice having the opportunity to eat out again. While I haven’t gone bananas, it is nice to occasionally eat out (I look forward to trying to get an article out soon to conclude the series). There are a lot festivals this weekend and I wanted to highlight a few of them. Hopefully the weather will cooperate! On to the Quick Bites!
- The Gruene Music and Wine Fest celebrates its 25th year of existence. Make the short trek up I-35 to enjoy a variety of Texas wines and foods. Even though many of the nightly concerts are sold out, you can still hop up there for Texas Tastings & Tunes on Saturday afternoon or the Texas-Style Music Fest on Sunday. Tickets for events range in price, but most are around $20.
- Celebrate San Antonio’s love affair with the accordion at the International Accordion Festival starting tonight through Sunday at La Villita. There are four stages and you can enjoy acts from around the world in styles ranging from Norteño, Zydeco, German Polka and, yes, even Hip-Hop. The event is free and will have a variety of food and beverage booths to keep your appetite satiated.
- Pearl Brewery is having a Taste of San Antonio Expo on Sunday October 9 from Noon until 5:00PM. Tickets cost $25 and allow you to sample fare from a variety of local restaurants including Delicious Tamales, La Hacienda and The Guenther House.
- I finally got to try the Truffled Grilled Cheese from the Bistro Six food truck. It was one of the greatest, cheesiest things that I have ever eaten. In fact, I wasn’t able to snap a picture because in a flash it was gone as folks at my table started sharing it. This is a must have item if you go to the Boardwalk on Bulverde!
- Honey Crisp Apples are back in season! I always look forward to October for pomegranates and Honey Crisp apples! The “filet mignon” of apple will cost you a pretty penny (around $3/pound), but they are completely worth it if you have never tried them. This is the only apple I have found that has that same crunch you seen in the movies where people take a bite out of an apple. And they are super sweet.