This is a very momentous weekend for all us Texans and those of y’all that got here as soon as you could. A couple of days ago was the 175th anniversary of Texas Independence and this Sunday is the 175th anniversary of the fall of the Alamo. Texas is a state that prides itself on its fierce independence which no doubt has deep roots with those defenders of the Alamo. Don’t forget it. Victory or Death!!!
- The Sunday champagne brunch at Las Canarias in La Mansión is everything and more from what people have told me. The champagne was of pretty good quality (read: it got me a little buzzed without making my head hurt), both hot and cold dishes were amazing, and the coffee was exceptional. I thought the dessert bar was the weakest point in the meal, but the made-to-order bananas fosters and the S’mores Verrine saved the day.
- For all of you folks with Android phones, be sure to get the newly released Foodspotting app in the Android Market; its free and you can start following some of the San Antonio Joe guides!
- The food related article of the week goes to the blog of Chef John Brand, the chef of Las Canarias at La Mansión. He offers tons of recipes for you to try at home.
- A coworker brought an Omega Juicer to work this week and I got to have carrot-apple juice. It was nothing short of amazing.
- The random article of the week is goes to Rene Guzman’s article on Alamo kitsch; nothing says Texas like Travis, Crockett, and Bowie shot glasses… Bottoms up!