With this being the last weekend in July, summer vacation will soon be coming to an end. I am perfectly fine with summer, but I definitely wouldn’t mind having sub 100 degree F temperatures for a while! We can only hope that tropical storm Don will be able to dump a little rain on us and provide relief. If not, don’t worry, go snag a paleta or your favorite frozen treat to beat the heat. Now for the Quick Bites:
- My mom came into town this past weekend and my girlfriend and I took her out to El Mirasol, her favorite restaurant. She always loved the enchiladas antiguas because of the cinnamon in the ancho sauce, but our waitress informed us that the recipe to the sauce changed and it didn’t have quite the same cinnamon-y flavor. The waitress brought out a sample of the sauce and her insight rang true (much to my mom’s disappointment). I actually favored the new sauce with a nice kick to it and ordered the plate for myself. My girlfriend ordered the drink of the night with the strawberry mojito.
- The next night I took my mom to the Quarry Hofbrau to sample a Dosarita and meet up some of my friends. She loved the drink and couldn’t believe how strong it was. I was impressed with the Hofbrau’s new line of “Dosaritas” including the Bombsicle (made with Big Red and layered to look like the famous Popsicle), the Creamsicle (made with Sunkist orange and vanilla vodka), and the Sakirita (made with Japanese sake). It appears that you can combine any other alcoholic drink into a margarita and it is delicious!
- Back on Memorial Day, I took some folks from Dish Trip on a tour of San Antonio. They stopped at a variety of restaurants in town that I suggested including the Quarry Hofbrau, Chachos, Blanco Cafe, La Gloria, Schilo’s, Titos, The Friendly Spot, Blue Star, and Lulu’s. It was quite the whirlwind trip while you wait for my forthcoming blog article about the experience this weekend, be sure to read their accounts of the trip on Southwest Airlines blog and check out yours truly at the beginning of the video below!
- The salsa at Pericos kicked my butt this past week. I don’t know what they did but they really kicked up the heat over on Bandera road. That’s OK though, I had a Parrot Tail to squelch the fire!
- In a bit of sad news this week Sam’s Bar-B-Cue, my favorite BBQ restaurant in Austin on the East Side, was shut down after it was police busted them for purchasing stolen meat. A staple on the East Side for 60+ years, I really enjoyed stopping at Sam’s for some ribs and potato salad when I had to do work in Austin. Hopefully they can put this behind them, get right with the law, and serve up some good grub real soon.
- The Boardwalk on Bulverde is having a Food Truck Throw Down and Music Festival sponsored by Miller Lite this Friday and Saturday from 11AM-11PM, and Sunday from 11AA-9PM. The event is held at 14732 Bulverde Road just inside of Loop 1604. There will be a variety of food trucks both locally and from around the area accompanied by live music. Admission is free and the winner will be determined by your vote! For more information, check out this article by @ShrinkingFoodie.