Sometimes a week flies by and I am not on top of it enough to have the Quick Bites updated for Friday. With restaurant week, summer volleyball coming to an end and a starlight movie, this was one of those weeks. After having some homemade beignets and coffee this morning, I started getting caught up where I could write, so without further adieu, on to the Quick Bites!
- Restaurant week is an event that is good on the taste buds, but bad on the waist line. Kicking it off for me last Sunday was a lunch at Oro in the Emily Morgan hotel. Their chorizo corndogs were interesting because it was a chunk of chorizo that was tempura battered and fried. The grilled chicken sandwich was good, but the crème brûlée was my favorite part of the meal as it had a little bit of cherry liquor in it and was topped with thick whipped cream.
- For dinner on Wednesday night I went to Cibolo Moon at the JW Marriott north of town with a group of friends. If you have not been to the hotel, the atmosphere is outrageous with everything being larger that life; the doors, lanterns and windows are all huge. The restaurant is quite elegant and the group I was with all dressed up for the affair. I passed on the premium tequila flights to have the Hill Country Heat Margarita which was made from raspberry habanero infused tequila. The drink had a spice that would catch a hold of you and then promptly let go. The Hill Country Heat was so good that I had to add it to my list of top margaritas in San Antonio!
- The meal at Cibolo Moon was solid as well. I had the tequila shrimp which had a sweet glaze on it and was served with chewy tortillas. I ordered the chicken fried steak, which may seen an odd choice for such a fancy restaurant, but they nailed it. They must have used a more premium cut of beef, because the steak was very tender and not nearly as tough as typical chicken fried steaks. The desserts were all right, but to be honest, everyone was too full to truly enjoy them!
- With the temperatures being so pleasant at night, there have been many venues around town which have hosted outdoor movies. The San Antonio Botanical Gardens is showing a series of Starlight Movies featuring some classic flicks. I went last night to the Some Like It Hot showing at the gardens and it was a great night to be outside watching Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, and Marilyn Monroe crack me up. They will be showing Hitchcock’s To Catch a Thief on 9/2 and the original Sabrina on 9/9. Gates open for the Friday movie at 7:30PM and the film starts at 8:30PM.
- With the Hatch green chiles being in season, I decided to create a video to show you how to roast them yourself. My HEB charged $1.29/lb for the raw green chiles but wanted $2.99/lb to have them roasted! At nearly 3x the cost, I would suggest that you roast them yourself and save some money, plus the smell of roasting chiles is absolutely amazing! There is one thing that I have to mention, while the crop that was delivered to HEB does have a good flavor, they are pretty weak and don’t have much spice, even the “hot” chiles. Feel free to test them yourself, but I was a little disappointed because the shipment last year was so good!