This installment of Quick Bites is a couple of weeks late because I went to officiate my little brothers wedding. That’s right, in addition to food blogging An Average Joe in San Antonio is now certified to perform weddings!
The rain has been a welcomed site here in San Antone! While a couple of my Anaheim pepper plants toppled over, the recent precipitation really helped out with the tomatoes, jalapeños, habaneros, onions, and Anaheim peppers (after interviewing Holly of the Dinner Garden a while back, I was inspired to start my own garden). At any rate, let’s keep this rain comin’ down!
- One of my favorite places to get pastries in the morning is Broadway Daily Bread. I recently moved my desk at work to sit with a new team so I brought in a loaf of their cranberry tea bread and a loaf of their sour cream and pecan tea bread. At about $5/loaf, it is a real cheap an easy way to provide a tasty breakfast at work. My team really enjoyed it, in particular the sour cream and pecan bread (which goes perfect with coffee).
- After the rehearsal for the wedding in Lubbock, TX, I zipped over to the pizza place I grew up in, Giorgios, to get a calzone. I am always amazed at how food can bring back memories, and one bite into the calzone and I was transferred back in time. If you are ever in that part of the world, be sure to stop by, say hello to George, and tell him I sent you!
- This post is going to be a little breakfast centric, but another coworker brought in a bagel sandwich from the Bagel Factory that was awesome. I could only eat half of it and the “Everything” bagel really makes it and is quite “savory” as my coworker describes it.
- I went to a favorite haunt, Taco Garage, last night after an intermural volleyball game and tried their Chalupas Compuestas for the first time. The plate is enormous with two chalupas stacked to the gills with fajita chicken and guacamole. There is so much food stacked on the crispy shell that I kept getting guacamole all on my nose as I ate it. Be sure to bring a friend, because you are going to need help taking it down.
- On the side I do some app development, and today I released an iPhone/iPad app called Local Dish! The app brings together food bloggers’ posts from different cities so you can have a one-stop-shop to find out some of the best eats in a city. You can easily share your favorite articles on Facebook or email to your friends. Local SA Bloggers featured on the app are Adventures of a 30 Something, Oh My Puddin’, SavorSA, and Food and How to Eat. Whether you are in SA or traveling on the road, you can change your city to see what local foodies are talking about! Download it today, it’s FREE!
- The food link of the week has to go to this recent story on Gizmodo that highlighted the third annual Jell-O Mold Competition in Brooklyn. I have no idea how they can make Jell-O look spot on like pancakes and fried eggs. Gotta see it to believe it!