Thought I would start something that I could post each Friday of things that might not warrant an entire story, but were fun none the less. Here goes nothing:
- If you go to a restaurant and don’t know what to get, download the Foodspotting app today! While at the restaurant, open up the app and see if someone has already eaten there and what their comments were. The UI is pretty slick and San Antonio is starting to build a pretty good community. You can follow San Antonio Joe on there as well!
- I finally got to try the Root Beer at Schilo’s! I can’t believe that I haven’t had it before; it is definitely a throwback soda and is super sweet.
- Local blogger Jen Rames had an excellent post on Auden’s Kitchen and after hearing a lot of people talk about it, I have to get out there in the near future.
- It looks like we are in that two week window when the weather is really cold here in San Antonio. Embrace it and order some caldo; I absolutely love the caldo at Mama Margie’s.
- This past Monday I started to build an iPhone/iPad/Android app that foodies might enjoy. I am hoping to have this app completed in the next couple of months and will keep you posted when it finishes.
- The Web House is a hole in the wall bar just off the St. Mary’s strip. The owner is really nice and it is the only place in town that serves Baltika, a Russian beer. I enjoyed Number 7 (all the Baltika beers are numbered) which was very similar to a Stella. To top it off, the owner/bartender/chef brought out some shrimp scampi for a friend and I to sample while we drank.
- The non food blog post of the week has to go to the Indie App Developer Karnak Games entitled “Don’t you dare waste your time. Work for you dreams. Live your dreams.” Be sure to read it today and watch the video that inspired the post from a poet in Austin (it may be NSFW as there is a little bit of language towards the end, but it is incredibly powerful).