I’m definitely looking forward to the Fall and some football! The Cowboys preseason game last night was a complete tease and I can’t believe that the regular season is right around the corner. Speaking of football, the UTSA Roadrunners first game is fast approaching on Saturday, September 3 at 1:00PM. I know that plenty of alums and San Antonians are looking forward to the event. Cooler weather is around the corner and we all have to hang in there for another 4 to 6 weeks. On to the Quick Bites!
- Hatch Green Chiles are back in season! Having some family roots from New Mexico, this time of year is always great to fire up the grill to roast some chiles for the upcoming year. Don’t know how to roast chiles? Check out SAJoe’s How To Roast Green Chile Guide and my mom’s famous queso recipe. Once you’ve been inspired, be sure to enter Central Market’s Hatch Chile Recipe Contest with your recipe by August 22nd at 10:00AM!
- I stopped by Taco Garage last night before my volleyball game for some drinks and eats with a friend. While I was there I ordered their tacos al pastor which was interesting because they did not have the pineapple that typically comes with that dish. This proved not to be an issue as the four street tacos were made with tender pork reminiscent of Memphis pulled pork (sans BBQ sauce). Special Bonus: the borracho beans had some fire in them!
- My girlfriend got me hooked on My Fit Foods, a store that sells healthy premade meals without preservatives that are never frozen. The meals, to my surprise, are really good. I have enjoyed the pork tenderloin and “killuh” chili, but the Hawaiian chicken is probably my favorite. For younger professionals or folks on the go, My Fit Foods gives you a quick and healthy alternative to eating out. There are two locations, one in Stone Oak and one in the Quarry.
- Culinaria: Restaurant Week is coming up August 20 – 27. Three course lunches at participating restaurants cost $15 while a four course dinner will run you $35. Restaurant Week is a great way for locals to get out and explore the city at restaurants they might not typically visit. With prices this low, be sure to make your reservations today!
- Foodspotting announced that their app has hit 1 MILLION downloads! Special congratulations to the Foodspotting team on this amazing accomplishment! Additionally, they released an updated version of their app where it is easier to see the updates of foods eaten by the people you follow. Don’t know what Foodspotting is all about? Check out the Foodspotting 101 here!
- Ted Grubb, cofounder of Foodspotting, had an interesting tweet where a bottler analyzed and recreated the 100 year old whiskey left in Antarctica by Sir Ernest Shackleton during his ill-fated South Pole expedition between 1907 and 1909. The bottle sold out in a flash and I can only hope that they release another batch!